This is it – the time has come. You’ve decided it’s time to upgrade your website from a self-built template site to something built by a professional. Fantastic!
So, you hop online and search for someone who can build your website – and what do you discover? That you don’t need a ‘someone’, you need a collection of someones.
Web developers, web designers, graphic designers, copywriters, site hosting, domain hosting…. Who are all these people and why can’t you go to one person to do it all?
It all comes down to skill-sets
When you look at a website (any website) it will always seem as if you are looking at a single entity, but in fact a website is made up of different elements.
- There are the words, images and videos – known as the content. A content writer (such as Creative Words) will help you create that.
- There is the design – colours, styles, branding and so on. A graphic designer (or a web designer, who is a graphic designer specialising in websites).
- There is the technical functioning of the site – when you click on a button, where does it take you, for example. That’s what the web developer does.
- There is its presence in the online world – so that when you type www.name-of-my-website.co.uk in a browser bar, your website loads and can be viewed by visitors. This is ‘hosting’ of your site.
- And there is the name of your website – your domain
Each of those elements requires skills and talents which are quite different from each other. The web-developer is an expert at coding, the graphic designer knows all about colour balance and contrast. The site hosting expert knows about server capacity and data security. And we, as your content creator, know about words and how to string them together in engaging ways.
Is there a one stop shop?
Well yes…. And no….
I’ve yet to find one individual who can write cracking content, create a fabulous looking design, build it so it is technically whizzy and then manage the hosting and updates.
But there are companies which will offer a complete package. No one person will do it all within that company – it just means they will do all the project management and juggling.
Or, of course, you can find someone to work with who can play well with others and do all the co-ordination so you don’t have to.
Guess what we do at Creative Words
The concept of Content Alchemy is a ‘done-for-you’ content creation service. So, if you come to us asking for a website, we can help.
We’ll work with you to figure out what content you need, help you decide on the pages, and then create the content. We can also find great images to go with your written content, as well work with ones you’ve provided and make sure they are the right size. We can even help you put together videos that you can use on the website.
Then we’ll bring in a graphic designer we know and trust to design the site so that it matches your branding. Don’t have a brand? No problem, she can do that too!
And we’ll work with one of our trusted web developers who can take the design and content and build the site, arranging for it to be safely hosted and launched onto the internet.
We manage the process, so you don’t have to – and we’ll explain what is going on throughout, in as much or as little detail as you feel you need.
Want to find out more about how we can help you launch your website? Contact us for an initial call.